August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
The Quake Grave
OneMadGypsyPostDecember 23, 2017, 21:49
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicThe Quake Grave

You do an excellent job on these videos, @ArrrCee. I've always been amazed at your memory regarding where you are in these maps. I've seen you backtrack practically an entire map just to get a health or some ammo that you saved. If I had any suggestions at all it would be to add some low music to your videos... nothing that would distract users from your narration, just something simple that would add to the ambiance. I'm assuming you have probably even considered this and possibly decided against it due to copyright issues or something but, there are things in the creative commons that you could use which shouldn't create any legal issues for you. I am vaguely aware of some community members which have created music which you could probably use as well.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 23, 2017, 22:54
Normal topicReply To: The Quake Grave

Something like [url url=http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Parvus_Decree/Siege#]this (listen to track 2)[/url] is what I was referring to. There are a lot of songs to go through. I just picked the first one that sounded pretty close to a quake environment (sort of). [url url=http://freemusicarchive.org/search/?adv=1&quicksearch=ambient&search-genre=Genres&only-instrumental=1&duration_from=&duration_to=&music-filter-CC=on&music-filter-CC-attribution-only=on&music-filter-CC-attribution-sharealike=1&music-filter-CC-attribution-noncommercial=1&music-filter-CC-attribution-noncommercial-sharealike=1&music-filter-public-domain=1&music-filter-remix-allowed=1]This link[/url] will bring you to all ambient audio that can be used in video projects without concern of legalities or royalties.

ArrCeePostDecember 24, 2017, 01:19
Rookie
December 21, 2017, 01:11

You know it's funny you mention this, because I actually just recently turned on the music in Quake 1 during the slew of Arance Diemsnsions I was playing. It's something a lot of people have been asking about since I started the show and I decided to go for it and turn it on. So now you'll hear music for both Quake 1 and 2 episodes as long as someone picked a track.

I'm more than likely not going to use someone else's music though for copyright and ethical reasons. The only tracks you'll hear are the Quake tracks and the beginning track which is royalty free. ;)

This track is really cool and definitively fits Quake though, good find!

Also, have a good holiday! I'll be out of town until the 26th so you may not see me around here again until next week.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 24, 2017, 02:09

Enjoy your trip, Arcee! Merry Christmas :).

@not going to use someone else’s music though for copyright and ethical reasons

The track and link I posted are entirely due to the creative commons. I selected all the appropriate filters to make sure that the only results I was given were those which are legal to use for your needs. The link actually has the filters in the url (which is why that url is so long) so, there are no copyright and ethical reasons. If you were to use that track or other tracks that conform to the filters I selected you would actually be using the music for it's exact purpose. If you wanted to be nice you could even throw a little box on your title screen with the name of the song and the author. That way, not only are you using the music for what it was intended but you would even be supporting the author of it.

The reason I am putting up a strong argument is because you have hundreds of videos and you will probably make hundreds more. Reusing the quake soundtrack is going to get super old. Of course, in the end it is your show. I would just hate to see you pooh-pooh possibilities that you have for reasons that do not exist. The entire purpose of the creative commons is to provide people with various forms of media to use for free. In some cases "use for free" does NOT include commercially that is why we use the filters.

Edit: Woops, I selected a wrong filter. That song is NOT free for use commercially. There are others that are though.

DutchPostDecember 25, 2017, 00:51
Rookie
November 12, 2017, 14:46

A little background music would be neat...but definitely leave the intro theme alone, I love it!

I've also made it no secret I miss the rise from your grave part :)

Don't know if I already said this (crazy couple of weeks) but it's great to see you here ArrrCee!

ArrCeePostDecember 28, 2017, 09:53
Rookie

Ha, no worries Dutch! That line may be sneaking back in some day soon. =)

There are just a lot of logistics in play with music on youtube. You'd be surprised what gets marked for copyright violation on there. I've had songs on previous videos that were marked royalty free and then upon uploading the video, it's immediately marked. And I don't know if you've fought Youtube on copyright claims before, but it's like a slippery slope. It's not worth my time as a small youtube guy to bother because I will not win. =/

DutchPostDecember 28, 2017, 13:45
Rookie

Yeah, I've heard YouTube is really going all Nazi on everybody regarding marked videos. I've uploaded 3 videos in my life, they all for flagged. Granted, they did use actual copyrighted songs, but I had been under the impression that as long as a song snippet was under 30 seconds and credit was given, it was all good. Guess I was wrong. It really helps to do some homework before just diving in I guess lol

ArrCeePostDecember 28, 2017, 18:38
Rookie

Oh yea, better safe than sorry on that stuff!

GuestPostDecember 28, 2017, 20:10
Rookie

The stuff with Youtube and copyrighted works is definitely getting quite hardcore.

I think they have some sort of crawler bot cross-checking audio patterns against some copyrighted music files database because a few days ago I uploaded a video recording of my desktop and the software I used was capturing my PC sound output (I had no idea about it, I wasn't interested in recording sound at all). It turned out I was listening to some song on youtube at the time of my recording and immediately after uploading the video to youtube I received a copyright claim email telling me it was blocked (really just a minute after uploading it) and politely me asking me to strip away the music.

ArrrCee, really liking the Quake Grave! Good job with the channel and videos! When it comes to the Quake maps videos I personally think it's better if they don't have any sort of background music (unless it comes shipped with the map, right :P). However, it is true that Quake's soundtrack might sound a bit repetitive after a while...maybe mappers should team up with musicians.

DutchPostDecember 29, 2017, 03:34
Rookie

@mappers teaming up with musicians

I know mugwump does some awesome quake-style music, he released a track for map jam 9 and it really complemented the map. Hopefully he'll keep doing them. Would be neat to see him join up here.

MarkPostDecember 30, 2017, 03:52
Rookie
December 24, 2017, 12:04

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 30, 2017, 07:42

You don't have to post Quake Grave videos, QMark. The page is auto-updated as soon as ArrrCee uploads a new video. His page is plugged directly into youTube. Same for you. If you add a new video to your main QJQ playlist it will automatically update your page. I will change the title to your page per your request at some point today.

Aside: I read all your PMs to me almost the second you send them cause, they come straight to my phone. I've just been busy with some things IRL. Thank you for all the hard work you are doing.

GuestPostJanuary 5, 2018, 14:32
Rookie

I prefer Quake Grave without music. i.e. I had some custom sound design in the last map RC played and having music over it would have ruined the effect. Since musical taste can be so subjective I'd say - steer clear.

PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 20:35
Rookie
August 4, 2018, 05:19

TQG is AWESOME! and I'll easily take a pause in working on any project to sit back and watch!

I agree with OneMadgypsy, arrrceee's level memory astounds me every single time. *30 minutes into a map 107/190 killed* arrrceee "Oh, I'm not going to make it past this part without more health, better backtrack to the beginning of the level and pick up that rotten pack I left there and the yellow armour which I saw" and I'm like "How the heck did he remember exactly where that was without getting lost once?"

He's also gotten very good at fighting enemies especially Shamblers and ?Hell Knights?".

The one improvement I would like to see is secret finding, at least on the smaller maps that only take 20 minutes or less I'd like to see him make a little more effort in finding them IF the situation calls for it. Sometimes the map just isn't work exploring because it's very dull or the secrets areas are insanely hard to find but if you've already found 2 our of 5 secrets and you're near the end of the map in 5-20 minutes lets see some secret hunting! Secrets are kind of trivial in The Quake Grave though and maybe it's good to leave some things unexplored so there's something for people who want to play the levels they see to accomplish so I understand why finding all the secrets or even one would be beneficial.

Keep up the good work arrrceee, every Quake level/pack video The Quake Grave video you put up gets a ThumbsUp from me!

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.