Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Computer Specs Thread
ijazzPostAugust 9, 2018, 12:23
Rookie
August 9, 2018, 15:17
Hot topicComputer Specs Thread

This thread is for discussion about PC's,Macs,PC Building/Assembling,and well....the hardware aspects of computers!

Want a new PC? We may be able to guide you!

Want some build guides? We're here!

Any technical problems? Here too!

Just computer-related chat? Yup!

ijazzPostAugust 9, 2018, 12:23
Rookie
Hot topicReply To: Computer Specs Thread

Let me start with my current,soon-to-be-replaced PC Specs.

Intel i3-2120

Intel HD Graphics

Some motherboard

4 GB DDR3-1333 (DIMM)

Some case from Intex

Windows 10 64-bit

Logitech K260 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

TalisaPostAugust 9, 2018, 16:46
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35

Intel Core i7 960 3.2ghz (quad-core)

18gb RAM @ 1333mhz

MSI gtx 980 TI gaming 6gb

512gb SSD

One 1TB HDD + one 4TB HDD + one 3TB HDD

logitech g110 gaming-keyboard

Logitech G700s gaming-mouse

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 9, 2018, 20:50
November 12, 2017, 00:13

You didn't say which computer so, I chose to share the specs from my first one.

CPU: Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz
RAM: 16K
HDD: Cassette storage
Mouse: wasn't invented yet
Keyboard: stock

This is the first computer I ever wrote a program on. I was about 6 years old. We had some computer magazine on the coffee table and somewhere in the back of the magazine was the code for "Webster Dines Out". I woke up one morning at like 3am, sneaked downstairs, turned on the computer that I wasn't supposed to touch, opened the magazine to the code and began to type every line. I actually typed every line except for the "@" or "$" characters cause I couldn't figure out how to do it.

My dad came downstairs an hour or 2 later and busted me writing code. Luckily, instead of getting mad he was actually blown away by all the things I did that nobody showed me how to do. He let me take the entire day off from school and he didn't go to work either. We spent the rest of the day fixing and completing the code, followed by binge playing Webster Dines Out.

The version in the magazine wasn't even this good. It was just the spider and some bug looking blobs that moved at varying speeds across the bottom of the screen. You could move left to right and had to time your attack to drop the spider down to grab the bug looking blobs. There was a points number in the upper right of the screen. IIRC, the bugs were 3 different sizes and you got either 1, 2 or 3 points depending on which size bug you captured. There was no color.

AdmerPostAugust 12, 2018, 15:48
December 31, 2017, 23:20

Alright, let's see my computer family:

Fujitsu A512 from 2012 (my brother's)

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2020M at 2.4GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • 2GB DDR3L RAM
  • 500GB HDD
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
  • 1366x768 60Hz monitor

Fujitsu S7210 from 2007 (my old laptop)

• Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 at 2.2 GHz
  • Intel GMA X3100 Mobile
  • 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
  • 160GB HDD
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Windows XP SP3 Vienna Edition (probably gonna install Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it)
  • 1280x800 monitor
  • Genius NetScroll 310X (repairs by itself whenever something breaks in it, like the mouse wheel)

S7210 with the monitor. This is how I've worked on most of my maps so far.

HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible MiniTower from 2005 (got it in January)

• Intel Pentium 4-640 at 3.2GHz, 1C/2T (hyper-threading doesn't help it much, LOL)
  • Ati Radeon X330 SE with 128MB DDR (it's faulty and overheats)
  • 512MB DDR RAM
  • 80GB HDD
  • Windows XP SP3 (probably gonna install a server OS)
  • 1440x900 Asus VGA monitor (used to be connected to my 2007 laptop)
  • No keyboard
  • Random Genius mouse I found in my drawer

The Dragon of Steel from 2018 (the machine I'm typing this from, hope the name isn't taken, I wouldn't care either way)

• Intel Core i5 8400 at 2.8GHz, goes up to 4GHz
  • Gigabyte WindForce II GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • 250GB Samsung 860EVO SSD
  • Windows 10 Ultimate
  • 1920x1080 AOC monitor
  • Old black German Compaq keyboard (with 8 extra keys)
  • Fantech Rhasta G10 mouse (I dunno, I just needed a USB mouse with a long cord)
  • MS Hulk case
  • Gigabyte B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WiFi motherboard (has PS/2, so I could use the old keyboard)

I also received a laptop from the police today (but it's only temporary, I gotta fix it for them), so here are its specs as well:

Fujitsu T4220 from 2005 (modified)

• Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 at 2.4GHz
  • Intel GMA X3100 Mobile
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • 80GB HDD
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (will install W7 and W10 in dual-boot, as requested by the officer)
  • 1024x768 rotatable monitor

And the PC I grew up with:

Gigatech prebuilt PC (R.I.P. 2009-2014)

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core at 2.4GHz (can't remember the exact model)
  • Ati Radeon HD 4650 (PCI-e, 256MB DDR2)
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • 300GB Hitachi hard drive
  • Used the same Compaq keyboard, and the Asus monitor

Sorry if I wrote too much, by the way. @ MadGypsy These formatting tools in the Text tab are pretty comfy to use. :D

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 12, 2018, 15:58
November 12, 2017, 00:13

@Admer

You can never write too much and I intend to expand the formatting tools to include all the codes that you guys don't know about. I'm not on that project yet but, it's definitely going to happen. In a lot of ways, y'all are using this site while I am still building it.

BTW ~ welcome back! I miss our morning chats, bro! Maybe meet me in the chatbox tomorrow morning if you have time and interest.

AdmerPostAugust 12, 2018, 16:06

@ morning chats

Well, I've also been thinking about it. Sure, I'll be there again, it's just that I've been worried by this:

:(

(BTW that progress thing I was writing was published as a blog, hopefully I'll port it to the site, the results are funny)

AdmerPostAugust 13, 2018, 18:06

I drifted a bit off-topic there, but here goes one so we don't derail completely:

So, fixing the police laptop has been a hassle, but a fun one. First I had to transfer the files elsewhere. I waited an hour or so for them to transfer to my USB flash drive, and when I opened the files from it, they were corrupted. Hell. So I decided to make file sharing work again, since they removed homegroups from Windows 10. It turns out I had done almost all the necessary steps but one: actually sharing the file with the machines in the network. Allow access to... -> Specific people -> adding Everyone with Read/Write. It was that simple, and I apparently missed it somehow. Now the files are safe. :)

Additionally, before completing the file transfer, I took a look at Device Manager to see the Hardware IDs, so I can look for the right drivers if they don't get installed. It's got a lot of O2Micro hardware, I wonder if they ever used it, lol.

And now came the longest part: installing Windows 10. This is going to take a while because I have to prepare a bootable USB flash drive. Trying to get a driver for the integrated Intel GMA X3100 will be a problem, same for the GM965 chipset. If a GMA 4500 managed to work though, the X3100 also should. This is probably going to feel like doing a surgery on a PC.

IMO the worst part is going to be solving the enormous heat issue. I can't get a reading on the CPU temperature because there isn't a sensor (or HWMonitor doesn't recognise it). It's a Core 2 Duo, they should have an on-die sensor though. :p
The fan sounds like a rattling battling tank, even more scarier than my 2007 laptop's fan. But either way, let's hope everything goes well.

literally hours later

So I forgot I had this tab open. Looks like I'll have to do some more workarounds to get Windows 10 to even install on this machine. Gosh. But hey, the entire police department uses W10, so it's a requirement. :p

AdmerPostAugust 14, 2018, 15:47

Update on the laptop:

Windows 10 finally managed to install, after fixing errors 0xc0000098, 0xc00000e1 and 0xc000021a.
Then it was time to take it apart and see what's causing the chainsaw sound.

And just as I thought, there's something stuck in the fan. We'll see what it is tomorrow.

ijazzPostAugust 15, 2018, 07:14
Rookie

We could probably remake Zerstorer.

First sound: Admer's police chainsaw.

AdmerPostAugust 15, 2018, 09:52

Well, if we control it with a velocity envelope, we might as well make it sound like an actual chainsaw. :D

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 23:31
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26

Guess I'll bite:

i5 2400

4x2GB DDR3 1600 (stuck at 1333, thanks h67)

MSI H67-G43-B3

2x GTX 1070

128GB Plextor M5S SSD, 500GB WDC Black HDD

LG BDRW

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

Corsair VX600w

AdmerPostOctober 8, 2018, 18:04

So, conclusion on the polica laptop:

The fan was most likely worn out. I at least replaced the old thermal paste with a new, better one. So, Windows 10 is installed, activated, the officer's used programs were installed again, the laptop didn't overheat and was more quiet.

I wish I also replaced the fan, but it's out of my shopping reach. Everyone knows I don't order anything online. And there are no parts in shops nearby, lmao.

Heads up: soon I'll post a potentially funny series of screenshots of my classmate just going mad at his PC for not working properly. It's in Bosnian, but I'll edit the images so it's in English.

Downgraded286PostOctober 8, 2018, 20:23
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26

You can order things relatively safely online if you use Paypal, so your credit/debit card info isn't floating around everywhere. That does mean that Paypal has that info, though... or a prepaid debit card. Not sure what your options are in your part of the world.

That fan, however, could potentially be fixed with a light oil, like sewing machine oil. Usually if you peel back the sticker there's a way you can drop some oil in the fan with a needle/dripper of some kind.

AdmerPostOctober 9, 2018, 05:12

I've used PayPal before on Steam, but safety is not the main issue.

It's just that my parents probably won't ever want to order from another country. Bosnia and Herzegovina only. Besides, I think the tax would be a bit high. I'm not too sure. But then again, I've gradually been changing their mind over the years.
My new PC is an example. My father wanted to drive to shops (where it would end up being more expensive) instead of just ordering from a nice place that was recommended to me by my friend. (which ended up being the case, thankfully)

AdmerPostOctober 13, 2018, 06:35

Recently, my PC got "infected" with the October update after my younger brother shut it down and let it update. When I came home in the evening, it couldn't boot into Windows. Pfft. I knew something would one day help break my laziness, at least when it comes to installing and setting up good ol' Windows 7 on my PC. Not now, though. It's just another missing brick in the lazy wall, hoping it would collapse one day.

So for now, I had to reinstall Windows 10 which meant R.I.P. to all programs on my C:/ drive (R.I.P. my brother's Roblox Studio, R.I.P. my Visual Studio), as well as some stuff used by Sony Vegas and HitFilm in %appdata%. And then all the settings I had were reset. :/
Thank God I install and make 90% of my programs on two other partitions. All my games were fine, 3ds Max was fine (probably), map editors are fine etc.
Even my laptop's 160 GB HDD is split into 3 partitions: one for Windows 7, one for XP and one for all sorts of files.

Morale of the story: back stuff up, and always have at least 2 partitions.

Edit: OH SHIP, the redistributables!

AdmerPostOctober 13, 2018, 13:47

Phew. I've translated that thing I mentioned, and here it is:

This dude is the best example of a Bosnian "I want everything to work fine but I don't know how it works" guy. :D

AdmerPostOctober 15, 2018, 16:10

On the 15th of October 2007, my old laptop was manufactured. Damn, time sure flies.
(photo from 2016 or so)

Happy 11th birthday, old chap. Live long enough and you'll end up in a museum, right where you belong. :)

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.089 seconds.