Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
New Quake rtlight for Darkplaces and QWFTE engines
Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 2, 2018, 10:16
Rogue
January 12, 2018, 09:03
Normal topicNew Quake rtlight for Darkplaces and QWFTE engines

Article Source: Moon[Drunk]

It looks as though Romi has a new project under way relating to Quake rtlights over at
https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/9aumdn/need_beta_testers_for_new_quake_rtlight_for/. I know we have some talented artists in our members (Monty smiles across at Talisa ;) ) who I thought might be interested.

Kind regards
Monty

TalisaPostSeptember 2, 2018, 12:06
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35
Normal topicReply To: New Quake rtlight for Darkplaces and QWFTE engines

interesting, i had not seen these as i dont use reddit.
i'll def have to check them out some time :)

up untill now i always used inkub0's edits of romi's RTlights,
but ill have to check these out for sure to see if i maybe like them more.

its cool to see a community-member from years ago returning to modding quake :D

romiPostSeptember 5, 2018, 12:36
Rookie
September 4, 2018, 19:49

Thanks Monty Burns for letting everyone know about my reboot. The .rtlights are still a WIP, but I am pretty happy with the E1 and E2 beta status. I will be moving forward to E3 once I make a final decision on the ambient/diffuse ratio for lava/slime/water lights.

You can download the latest .rtlight build (and cubemaps) at it's github 

As stated, so far I only have E1 and E2 ready for testing.

Feel free to provide feedback in this thread or by using the contact feature on my website.

You can track my progress and thoughts at my crappy website 

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 5, 2018, 16:38
November 12, 2017, 00:13

I'll add your website to Quake Galaxy->info/design :D

Ya' know the only thing that I think makes your site look crappy are the big blue boxes when you hover an image. You should change it to just adding a border on the image ... I just went and played with it and, really just getting rid of this line makes it nicer.

.hentry.has-post-thumbnail:hover .entry-link {
    opacity: .6;
}

and change this line

a, button, input, textarea, .hentry, .hentry .entry-link, .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .pace .pace-progress, .site, .site-logo-link img {
    -webkit-transition: all .125s ease-out;
    -moz-transition: all .125s ease-out;
    -o-transition: all .125s ease-out;
    transition: all .125s ease-out;
}

to

a, button, input, textarea, .hentry, .hentry .entry-link, .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .pace .pace-progress, .site, .site-logo-link img {
   transition: all .4s ease-out;
}

all your images are a different size. Change the height in this line to 44vmin like I did. That's apparently your "magic number" cause no matter how I scale the page everything looks good. Very very little stretching, most people wouldn't even notice.

.archive .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .blog .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .search-results .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image {
    width: 100%;
    max-width: 100%;
    min-width: 100%;
    height: 44vmin;
    max-height: none;
    min-height: 0;
}

It's not a perfect world but, I think those 3 simple changes make a big difference. This is what it would look like with just those 3 changes, and change #2 is totally optional. It just fades to grayscale a little slower. You can click the image for full size. I'm hovering Chthon.

[su_lightbox type="image" src="https://i.imgur.com/gSMofx2.png"]
[/su_lightbox]

romiPostSeptember 5, 2018, 17:50
Rookie

Thanks gypsy! The website was made in haste using one of the default templates. I will get in there and make those changes once I can gather enough free time.

The website is really there just to keep me honest as I work through, and to archive changes over time visually. I do want it to have a better appearance, and your changes seem to accomplish that.

Update: Grr... free wordpress hosting doesn't let you do any custom css, java, or html... bitterness...

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 6, 2018, 05:54

There might be another way to do it. A lot of Wordpress themes let you change the CSS in theme options. Go to Appearance->Themes in your dashboard and you may see CSS, Style or something like that in the left options bar. If so, simply paste the below into it.

opacity: 0;
    }
        -webkit-transition: all .4s ease-out;
        -moz-transition: all .4s ease-out;
        -o-transition: all .4s ease-out;
        transition: all .4s ease-out;
    }
    .archive .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .blog .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image, .search-results .hentry.has-post-thumbnail .attachment-boardwalk-featured-image {
        height: 44vmin;
    }

If all that is true and some part doesn't seem to change add !important after the rule that did not stick ~ like so

opacity: 0 !important;
    }

If your theme doesn't allow custom CSS, that's OK. Go in your dashboard to Plugins->add new and search this exact title "Simple Custom CSS" and install it. Then simply go to Appearance > Custom CSS, click Simple Custom CSS section and paste the code I gave you.

You'll notice that in my CSS I stripped the rules down to only the parts that I changed. This is because all the parts are going to happen anyway. When you overwrite a rule it does not replace it. It's more like you changed your mind about some things at the last minute.

Maybe you already know some of this. I don't know the extent of your CSS knowledge but, it's better for me to give you all the info in one shot then for you to have unanswered questions or concerns and have to wait for me to address them, or to have to spend time searching for the answers.

If you get set up to where you can add you own custom CSS, and if you don't know CSS at all (or you are terrible at it) and there are still some changes that you would like to see ~ you can tell me what you want and as I take little mini-breaks from Qtv I'll go mess around with the css on your site (via Firebug) and design new rules for you. I am pretty good with this stuff and I don't mind helping you. I don't intend to do a complete restyle though. If you want tweaks I'm here for you.

romiPostSeptember 6, 2018, 15:37
Rookie

Thanks again gypsy. I only have a basic understanding of CSS/html/java but usually just enough to get me into trouble, so your tips/suggestions are beyond my knowledge base and appreciated.

Unfortunately, free wordpress hosting is amazingly restrictive. I can't customize the CSS for any theme, and I can't install plug-ins. All of those features are restricted until you purchase upgraded hosting.

I understand their desire to monetize, but it is extraordinarily annoying.

For now I am going to focus on .rtlight creation, and when the project is complete I will work on creating a more robust website, probably with a real web address and upgrading hosting capabilities.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 6, 2018, 16:17

WOW! you can't even install plugins?! That's lame as fuck! I intend to upgrade my server in the near future. I believe when I do I get more databases (I only get 1 with this plan). If I am right and I do get more databases I'll host your site for you if you want. I'm pretty sure I can make subdomains so, if you can live with something like http://rtlights4quake.nextgenquake.com I'll hook you up. Totally up to you.

Keep up the excellent work with the lights. I've said a lot about CSS but I haven't mentioned your lights, at all. For the record, I think they look very clean and nice. And everybody here will tell you that if I didn't think that, I would be saying something completely different. ie... I really do think they look nice. I'm not just blowing smoke.

romiPostSeptember 7, 2018, 13:56
Rookie

Appreciated. I'm looking forward to finishing the project, but with two jobs and a part time volunteer position it may still be a few months.

Once you get the logistics figured out I would be happy to transfer hosting and have a sub domain.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.