August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Feature Suggestion — Map Submissions
GuestPostSeptember 7, 2018, 14:22
Rookie

Normal topicFeature Suggestion — Map Submissions

Currently Quaddicted is the main repo for maps and rightly so. However, one big frustration I and others have is that the map must be sent to Spirit and there is a significant delay before the map is posted their DB (by hand!) Here’s how this could work on NGQ.

a map upload form with the following functions:

upload screenshot (this should be required)
brief description of the map
links to map (Drive, Dropbox, func_msgboard)
links to other site for more info

A page is then generated and the screenshot is added to the carousel on the landing page.

OR.....

Maybe this is just a forum post with a certain format that can be selected via a checkbox or some code. Once the post is submitted the image is added to the carousel.

Since NGQ is really a bridge between communities (QuakeOne, func_msgboard) I think this simple tool would be very helpful and drive people here. I am constantly asked by new mappers “where should I upload my map?” I have a hard time recommending Quaddicted because of the lag time mentioned above.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 7, 2018, 17:22
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicReply To: Feature Suggestion — Map Submissions

I have only one problem with what you suggested. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, man. Quaddicted and func have been around a long time. They have solidified their purpose. Could I come up with way better systems than both of them combined? Absolutely. I could completely obsolete them both but, that is not now, nor will ever be something I venture to do.

If people, on their own, decided to start posting their maps here I could easily list their maps on the home page or on some other page designed specifically for maps. Just like I easily list recent posts. There are pages here if you know how to play with the URL that will even list the most popular posts. If people posting their maps here continued to grow, I would have no choice but to make it as nice as possible because I want my site to be as nice as possible. It has to be a choice people make on their own due to zero amount of promotion on my part.

I started this site as a way for the huge Quakeone community to have a place that is not abandoned to continue their communal works. In no way was this endeavor intended to take away from other quake sites that have not abandoned their people. I can't force people to not use my site for maps but, my own integrity will not allow me to specifically promote it in competition of the sites that currently exist for it.

GuestPostSeptember 7, 2018, 18:17
Rookie

You're getting to hung up on Quaddicted and my comments about the lag time. Forget I said that!

I don't see it as a competition at all especially because you are not making database or encouraging rankings or even comments, just enabling people to post about their maps a bit easier and in a more flashy way. i.e. when I release a map or a video I post to the following sites: func_msgboard, r/quake, Twitter, QuakeOne, Quaddicted's forum, email Spirit the map for inclusion in the db and now I will post here.

No one has ever complained or called me out for using the competition.

I see this as a chicken and egg situation or a "if you build it, they will come" moment. You need to give people a reason to come here. A simple new tool for mappers to promote their releases would be welcomed. I'd bet on it.

You could even use a Quaddicted badge as the "official" link to the map file there. Quaddicted is the de facto place for maps (I even made a video showing people how to submit a map) but it's hard to promote something that isn't available for download! So in this respect I'm looking personally for another venue.

Anyway. Just spitballing. :)

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 7, 2018, 22:23

Like I said, brother. If people start posting maps here I wont have a choice but to make it really nice as it becomes obvious that the community has chosen this site to be heavily map related.

That's all I can tell you.

@You need to give people a reason to come here.

I've given people like 40 reasons to come here and the list is always growing. I have the most modern and feature-rich quake forum on the entire internet. This site gets a notable amount of hits every day and if people would wake the fuck up they might realize that this is an excellent place for self-promotion. About the only thing that you can't do here is literally play your map on the page, and given some time you'll probaly be able to do that, too.

To say people do not have a reason to come here is absolute nonsense. Right there in the forum index is "Maps". Nobody is stopping anyone from posting some maps in it. You have a buddy Drive your maps can be stored in. This forum totally supports post attachments, as well. Your profile has an entire gallery that can be filled with Audio, Images and Video related to your maps. You can make your own group with a forum which would be essentially like making your own forum just for your maps. Groups can have their own Buddy Drive and Gallery, as well. LOL! No reason to come here?! There is EVERY reason to come here.

If you are html and css savvy you can even design your posts to look pretty much however you want. Not to exclude the giant list of premade codes that allow even more display features. You guys have an incredible amount of features and opportunities here but seem to think I haven't done something. I've done more than you can imagine, I'm just waiting for you to use it.

You can upload, post, share and customize anything with virtually no restrictions ~ where else Quake-related can you do that? Riiight ... Nowhere.

GuestPostSeptember 11, 2018, 17:51
Rookie

To say people do not have a reason to come here is absolute nonsense.

To be fair, I didn't really post that. It was poorly written to be sure. I should have typed "give people a unique and awesome tool to use so they have to post here."

You responses are duly noted.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 12, 2018, 01:45

give people a unique and awesome tool to use so they have to post here.

I will. This site is not even one year old. November 11th is one year and I shut the site down for 4 months so, in a way, this site is only 6 months old. I'm just one guy and I put all of this together myself. In many cases I didn't even know what I was doing. In other cases I knew exactly what I was doing but, didn't have a plan on what to do with it.

This entire site started as a conversation on the phone with Dutch. Where, I was going to build him a little blog so he could have somewhere nice to post his stuff due to quakeone being abandoned. My "one week" venture to help a friend have a cool site for his projects became an entire replacement for quakeone. I have sweat blood and tears to give you guys/girls a non-abandoned, fully functional and feature-rich forum to express every and any idea you could possibly conceive. Instead of this place filling up with a bunch of Quake and being used as a tool of self promotion for those that have projects, you know what I get (and this is NOT just you)

"You should change all the colors"
"You should make a new logo"
"You should build even more things"
"You should change how the site functions"
"You should give up."
"You should ..."
"You should ..."
"You should ..."

People tell me these things and more after all of this work and effort and I think "What should you do? What part do you play?"

I'm not an enterprise. I'm OneMadGypsy.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 12, 2018, 02:08
Rogue
January 12, 2018, 09:03

Hi MG,

I'm sure I speak on behalf of most the regulars here when I say that we genuinely appreciate what you have done here and hope that you continue to show the same enthusiasm and care going forward. You have created a well designed, well maintained, well managed and feature rich environment for us to follow our favourite game and work on associated projects. It's probably fair to say that it's what we hoped QuakeOne.com should have been and much more.

At this point in time Don't forget to leave a little time for real life though ;-) Even MG's need a break to recharge their batteries from time to time.

Take care sir

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 12, 2018, 11:50

I know you guys/girl appreciate me. I appreciate y'all as well ~ more than I can say with words.

@It’s probably fair to say that it’s what we hoped QuakeOne.com should have been and much more.

I try so hard. Sometimes I come here and I notice things or wish things and I think "I can't work any faster or harder." I appreciate what you said more than you can know. I am burning myself to the ground trying to bang out all of these accomplishments.

@At this point in time Don’t forget to leave a little time for real life though

Pbbbt...I have no life. I have dreams and a keyboard. Eventually, people are going to show up here and be completely blown away. Realization is going to dawn on them "This is the best shit, ever and PERIOD." and I'm going to make half a million dollars creating industry level Wordpress plug-ins to make it happen. Qtv isn't Qtv, at all. Qtv is an example of PlaylistTV (GypTV). Qtv is almost done. PlaylistTV is not. I need to make my back-end so simple and intuitive that a cat could walk across your keyboard and fully install/configure it by accident. And you can bet I damn near will.

GuestPostSeptember 12, 2018, 13:03
Rookie

Gypsy, it's because you are such a code wiz I figured this would be easy for you. So in a way just asking should be considered a high compliment. :) But as I said, your replies are duly noted.

The site is great. I appreciate what you have created.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 12, 2018, 14:06

You're good, bro. Show me some participation and I'll show you amazing things that amplify the reason behind that participation. I'm not making shit on promises of "if you build it they will come.". This entire site was an "if you build it they will come" situation and 5 people showed up to stick around. It's the community's turn. "If you come I will build it."

Really, considering how I am constantly pushing this site to the next level, if the participation was there you would already have whatever it is that brings your submission here over the top. When I am done with QTV I am going to make a mock up of just how bad-ass it already is to post your stuff here, if you take the time to do it right. I'll go find some mapper that I really like and build an entire page for them as an example. I will do it all with user level permissions. I think the "problem" is, my site isn't really a 5 lines of text and a link kind of place. You have to take a little time if you want to do it right but, the end result can be straight up amazing. Technically all these mappers that do not have a site of their own could rape this place as a mecca to their work. Seriously, I don't think most of you truly realize what is possible here.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.