QuakeWiki
August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Are you sick of automated calls?
OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 11, 2018, 12:21
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicAre you sick of automated calls?

How many times has your phone rang, you answer it, it's some recording and you hang up just to be called back by the exact same service within a few hours or days? Did you know that on most automated systems pressing the number 2 will unsubscribe you from their call list? Does this mean you should just press the number 2 and hang up? Well, no. Unfortunately, you should wait for some menu and make sure that 2 is the proper number to press. Personally I DO just press 2 and hang up cause I have zero patience and, so far, this has not come back to bite me in the ass but, the day is coming for sure. Some "less-than-reputable" asshole, somewhere, has reprogrammed his system to make the number 2 "subscribe me to everything in the universe and sell every bit of my information to everyone". That jerk's system is going to call me and I am really going to wish I had the patience to wait for the menu when it is all said and done. However, SO FAR, pressing 2 works great. I never get called back from the companies I have unsubscribed from.

This is just my little PSA to all the people out there getting robo-called to death and technically doing nothing about it. You have some power to start eliminating these calls. You just need to (generally) put a number 2 in their system. ;)

If you press number 2 and you hear "You have been (unsubscribed|removed) from our call list" of course, you know you did it right. If you just hear "Thank you", you maybe still successfully removed yourself. I have heard both of those messages and haven't gotten any callbacks. Those are the only 2 messages I have ever heard after pressing number 2.

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 20:08
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26
Normal topicReply To: Are you sick of automated calls?

I can block up to 99 numbers with my MagicJack phone. We were getting tons of spam calls, including ones where I would answer the phone, and hear nothing... blocking the bullshit numbers helps cut down on the amount of calls like that we get, but they keep changing numbers. I fear one day I'll run out of room on my block list...

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 7, 2018, 20:46

I almost don't get any calls anymore. I put in the work pressing 2 and the calls have pretty much stopped. Also, often the numbers are spoofed. I've gotten calls from people asking me why I called them but, I never did. You are quite possibly blocking numbers of real people that you will ironically need/want/ask to call you in the future.

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 21:25
Rookie

I'll try pressing 2 to see what happens. At worst, I'll get more spam. Kind of a moot point when I already have spam. Unless... you're lying and you are working for the spammers, and you want everybody to press 2 so they can send us more spam!

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 7, 2018, 21:38

I am definitely NOT working for the spammers :D! You like all the spam we have here? Oh, right, we have NONE!

Press 2. I have pressed 2 like 100 times and the calls have pretty much stopped entirely. I don't even wait. As soon as I hear "Hello, we've been..." [2]

I keep meaning to press other numbers to see if I can pinpoint which number is the menu but, I am programmed at this point to press 2 as an immediate reaction.

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 21:44
Rookie

It's all a cover up to get us to trust you... so we would read this thread, press 2 and download more spam!

Nice job keeping the spam away from here, though. I couldn't tell you how many times I started reading a shitty comment at QuakeOne, only to see it was somebody trying to sell me an essay or something...

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.041 seconds.