Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
foq QuakeOne
Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 16:18
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26
Normal topicfoq QuakeOne

So, I'm here. Otherwise known as foq (the registration process wouldn't let me be foq because names must be at least 4 characters long). Seems like there's a serious lack of give a shit over at QuakeOne. This is disappointing, because QuakeOne and its predecessors (Singed, and TLTQ before that) used to be something of a central hub for the Quake community. Pretty sure that started to die out, even sometime before the "upgrade" happened over there that broke all the things, including everyone's eyes when they looked at the site.

It seems like this place tries to recover some of that. I remember a comment somewhere about putting stuff here, because anything left at QuakeOne is likely doomed to eventually fade away with the site. I haven't really made anything, but there's a few mods and whatnot I know about that I could go digging for and put them here somewhere so they're not lost to time.

That's weird... my name, that is, the name that appears on the site under my avatar in this post, and in the "recent topics" list on the right side of the page shows up as "no". That's what I put in for the "name" field when I signed up. I thought that was for my real name? Unless only I see that, and everyone else sees Downgraded286.

AdmerPostOctober 7, 2018, 17:38
December 31, 2017, 23:20
Normal topicReply To: foq QuakeOne

I also see a "no".

Welcome to NGQ, by the way. :)

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 7, 2018, 18:17
November 12, 2017, 00:13

Whatever you put in the name field is how you will be displayed on this site. The name you signed up with cannot be changed. To change your name visibly go to profile/edit. You didn't need to sign up for a new account. Just like you just made your name "no" which is only 2 letters, you could have made your name "foq".

What do you want me to do with your other account...or this one?

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 19:31
Rookie

I just changed the name field, this'll be fine. :)

Is there some way I can reverse the order of replies in threads? Seems like it's set to show comments from newest to oldest, while I'm used to reading oldest to newest. I haven't seen anything obvious in the settings.

TalisaPostOctober 7, 2018, 20:39
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35

hehe see gypsy, im not the only one who'd prefer the order of posts to be oldest-to-newest instead of the other way around :P

also hai foq. its nice to see more members of the quake community coming over here :D

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 7, 2018, 20:58
November 12, 2017, 00:13

If I set the replies as oldest to newest it would take more than one click for you to read the latest post. You would click once to get to this page, then have to click the pagination number for the last page and if the pagination number for the last page blew out the allowed numbers in the widget you would have to keep clicking until you eventually got to it.

Newest replies belong first. I understand that some of you are used to it being the other way around but that way is backwards. Why would you want to scroll, click, scroll, scroll, scroll (or even more) just to read the last thing? That's not a friendly system.

If a plug-in existed to where I could give y'all a choice I would definitely install it. Unfortunately, I have searched numerous times for hours (combined) and no such plug-in exists. Switching to a scroll/click all the time system as the default method is never gonna happen. There are threads on this forum that I won't even go to because you have to scroll for a month to get to the first reply even with the current system.

Scrolling forever and having to click constantly just to get where you want will turn most people away from the entire thing. I've read web design books about this and regardless of the small percentage of exceptions, most people hate having to manually navigate to things. This fact is amplified if the navigation becomes more and more complex. This site is still in it's infancy. I have to think about EVERYBODY that may come here. Making new users click and scroll a bunch is a terrible idea.

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 21:21
Rookie

The other forum I frequent has a "jump to new" button, which takes you to the first unread post of the thread you're in. It's quite handy. Though, most forums I've been to are set up the way I described, and I was a little confused until I figured out I was reading everything backwards... at least I know now there's not a simple option somewhere that I missed. If that's the way it has to be, I can live with it, but it's just... backwards and weird! And you're a weirdo!

AdmerPostOctober 8, 2018, 17:56
December 31, 2017, 23:20

"hehe see gypsy, im not the only one who’d prefer the order of posts to be oldest-to-newest instead of the other way around"

HAH, so I was not the only one either. It's just that I didn't mind, so I never probably said anything about it.

Mr.BurnsPostOctober 9, 2018, 09:33
Rogue
January 12, 2018, 09:03

Hi Foq,

If it is of any help, underneath your notorious truck avatar I see the following...

"Downgraded 286

(foq)"

Oh and of course welcome to NGQ. It's good to see old Quakers trying something new :)  Hope to see you on the servers at some point.

Kind regards

Monty

Downgraded286PostOctober 25, 2018, 16:15
Rookie

Yeah, that's what I set it to. I'm glad you like the truck avatar, I was able to find it again pretty quick with a simple image search ;)

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.