Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Windows Update sucks
Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 21:39
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26
Normal topicWindows Update sucks

If anybody is using Windows 10, I would recommend (at least) going to Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options and selecting the Semi-Annual Channel (as opposed to the Semi-Annual (Targeted) Channel), which is supposed to delay big feature updates by 4 months. Why? Microsoft has already temporarily pulled the recent October update (1809), but not before it deleted a bunch of user files. Now, that did happen, and that was the reason they gave, but it also caused multiple users to experience BSOD once the update was installed on previously stable systems.

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 7, 2018, 21:56
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicReply To: Windows Update sucks

Really just fuck Windows entirely. I recently read that Microsoft has plans to turn Windows into a service. So, I guess in the future you can pay a monthly fee to be pissed off at your computer. When this piece of shit breaks ... Linux and never gonna look back.

Downgraded286PostOctober 7, 2018, 22:34
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26
Normal topicReply To: Windows Update sucks

I dunno how well that's going to work out (Windows as a service). It looks like they're already trying that, but every time there's a major update (twice a year) it breaks things for people. It's basically like doing a dirty upgrade from one OS to another (like XP to Vista) as opposed to wiping out and doing a clean installation of Vista by itself, twice a year. There's a lot of people upset by this, so maybe it will change... much like Windows 8 changed (8.1 happened) because a lot of people were unhappy about feeling like they were using a tablet with a mouse and keyboard. Or maybe they'll continue to do whatever they want, because Microsoft rules the world.

And, much like Google, Microsoft also has a nasty habit of collecting your data... right along with Facebook. Billions of people continue to use those services though without doing anything about it... things generally seem to be going in a bad way, because "we" keep letting them.

Linux isn't free from its problems either, though. Compared to Windows, it's hard to use, support is poor, and gaming (still) sucks, despite making decent progress recently.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.