August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
NGQ Server
OneMadGypsyPostOctober 15, 2018, 10:43
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicNGQ Server

A recent post asking for server donations got me thinking about getting a game server to add to the "family" of this site's "products". I am not very familiar with the multiplayer end of Quake and I could use some help with this endeavor.

1) What mod should I use for my server?
2) Where do you recommend my server be hosted?
3) Where do I get info on how to set up my server?
4) Is anyone willing to do most of this work for me and if so:
____a) what will it cost me?
____b) what services do you provide for that cost?

I would prefer not to simply run some mod in a vanilla state. I can program in QC and I am not shy to take some existing mod with a solid code base and build on it to create something a little more unique. That being said: What features would you like to see in a multiplayer mod?

I'm in no rush. I'd rather take the time to review my options and input, and create something solid in an environment with quality specs than just dump some A, B, C stuff together to make something happen for the sake of saying it exists. Also, I fully realize that multiplayer Quake is mostly dead. That's not really important to me. Just because it is mostly dead it doesn't mean my server will be. I have an entire forum to promote and schedule games on. I could host tournaments and any other imaginable thing regarding this. I could start map jams with the specific point of it being a competition to have your map placed in the server rotation. There are a million ideas. Surely a combination of at least some of them will produce results.

Downgraded286PostOctober 25, 2018, 16:35
Rookie
October 7, 2018, 05:26
Normal topicReply To: NGQ Server

It's really easy to run a Quake server, at least from a hardware standpoint. If you want to pay for hosting, you could likely get away with the cheapest Linode option available (5/mo). The specs may seem meager, but I've hosted multiple Quake servers personally on an ancient slot 1 Pentium 3 with... 256MB RAM?

As far as what mod, well, you can run multiple servers on a single machine. Port 26000 is the default, but you can host on any port you want with the -port switch. So, port 26000 can be your main squeeze, but you might run Rocket Arena on port 26001, Clan Arena on port 26002, Runequake on port 26003, Rquake (rune co-op) on 26004, Slide on 26005 and so on. The possibilities are limitless. In such a case, a user wishing to connect to our Slide server would type connect ngq.com:26005 (or whatever our DNS would be).

Quake servers do not require much CPU grunt or memory, so even a cheap Linode subscription would likely work fine. Or even some crappy computer somewhere that you could use for this purpose. You could even host it yourself, just be aware that with most Quake clients, you would have to put that machine in the DMZ. Simply forwarding port 26000 (and beyond, if you're running multiple servers) isn't enough.

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 25, 2018, 23:43

What if I just buy a host, give you the admin details and you do whatever you want? You seem to already know what's necessary and could get everything done faster than me reinventing the wheel. I can dig around in it after you're done and figure out everything you did. Or I can even completely leave it the fuck alone cause that's your thing and "you got this". That last version works the best for me if you have interest in running a server that I just pay for.

Unless DMZ means De-Militarized Zone I have no idea what that is. I don't want to host from a home computer cause, I have no way to supply constant internet access to it. Cable and AT&T have stupid-ass prices and those are my "constant" options. I use my phone hotspot which is very reasonably priced and works well. Unfortunately, that means if I'm not home the server would be offline. I'd rather just pay some host and it doesn't have to be the cheapest one (probably). I'm certainly not rich but, I'm not living "check to check" either. I'm probably middle-middle class. If I had an option between super cheap and probably crappy or double the price and not too shabby, I would pay double.

As far as not paying Cable or AT&T for "real" internet goes, that has nothing to do with affordability. It has everything to do with not giving multi-gazillionaires way too much money for little value. It's principle. Their shit isn't worth 89$ a month for unlimited internet. I pay $60 for unlimited internet with an entire phone plan attached to it ... and it's mobile. AT&T can especially suck a dick. I have free direcTV. If it wasn't free I wouldn't pay for this works-half-the-time-maybe bullshit. Worst fucking service ever. I notice HBO, Starz and other paid shit goes out for every little reason but, magically, channels that are nothing but infomercials still work. Why are there even channels dedicated to infomercials in the first place?

Downgraded286PostOctober 26, 2018, 04:41
Rookie

I'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure how well the Linode option would work out for me. I'd be willing to give it a try, but I've only got like a preschool level of experience with Linux. Quake is still Quake, though, and it shouldn't be much more than a matter of getting the executable to run... and most engines come with a Linux flavor. I have no idea what problems we might run into (if any), though, cause I don't really do Linux. Of course, there'd be nothing stopping you from poking around in it to see what I did to set it up. In Windows, at least, that usually just means a shortcut to the server executable with a bunch of command line switches, and some server settings in that mod's autoexec.cfg. It's been a while since I ran servers, but I'm sure I can at least get them going without too much trouble.

In networking, DMZ means... well, a few different things. Usually, though, on consumer routers, it means all incoming traffic is forwarded to the lucky winner (the machine in the DMZ) by default. That means, if your address is ngq.com, and someone types connect ngq.com in Quake, and you pointed your DMZ to 000.000.000.000, your router sends their Quake client to your 000.000.000.000. From what I've seen, though, the Quake server listen port is 26000 by default, but clients actually connect to whatever port at random, which is why the DMZ is necessary, because there's something like 65,000 ports and no way to know which one a Quake player is trying to connect to.

die soulfidePostOctober 28, 2018, 21:35
Rookie
October 27, 2018, 18:46

perhaps a coop server that plays new releases that claim coop support would be cool with a way to select the maps via console. otherwise what will be useful is a server browser of active servers maybe consisting of netquake, quakeworld and maybe even darkplaces protocol.

Downgraded286PostNovember 14, 2018, 01:09
Rookie

So, is this still in consideration?

OneMadGypsyPostNovember 14, 2018, 08:54

Yes. I have a lot on my plate ATM. I need some things to become completed before I move forward with new things.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.