Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Quake Real-Time Lighting Project
romiPostOctober 18, 2018, 14:45
Rookie
September 4, 2018, 19:49
Normal topicQuake Real-Time Lighting Project

Hello! Romi here, the original creator of the .rtlight set that has been floating around for the last decade. As Gypsy has noted I rebooted my project with the initial intention of fixing some problematic areas. Once I got going things quickly turned into a full blown scrap and rebuild.
After almost four months of work and a couple of teasers, I have completed my new Quake 1 .rtlight set for the Darkplaces and FTE QW engine. I now need beta testers to run through and help catch any issues I may have missed and to help me address a few areas I simply need second opinions on.

All of the original single player levels are now ready to be be tested using real-time lighting effects.

There are numerous improvements compared to my old .rtlight set. In fact, much of the original work is no longer present. Some of the overall highlights include:

Removal of use of high intensity colors

A focused effort on maintaining and enhancing original lightmap shadow effects

Many high resolution cubemaps... handle it...

Large increase in light count per level (for details, not for brightness)

My goal for the project was for players to be able to run through the entire single player campaign, experience all of the benefits and effects .rtlight and per pixel lighting can bring to the table, and not feel like they are playing a different game.

The project is not finished. I will not call it done until I have gathered a variety of testers then implement their suggested changes and resolved any issues they come across.
Even though the files were created in the Darkplaces engine, I recommend FTE QW for the best single player experience (just the engine). Do take note that certain eye candy features (bloom, coronas) change the appearance of my .rtlight files and should be disabled for testing. My github has a mysettings.cfg that you can run to mimic the look you see in the screenshots.
For more information on the full beta (including specific points of interest and how to take part) check out my blogpost here.

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 18, 2018, 15:59
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicReply To: Quake Real-Time Lighting Project

Excellent work, Romi. When you "officially" complete your mod I'll make it front page news.

IF I can find some time in the next few days to run through some maps for you, I will.

romiPostOctober 19, 2018, 15:32
Rookie

I've made a couple of updates to both the blog and lights. There were a couple of cubemaps in e2m5 that were not aligned properly, I also removed all coronas (which I thought I had done, but who knows), and made the ambient/diffuse balance on all maps uniform.

romiPostOctober 22, 2018, 12:44
Rookie

I'm still looking for feedback. So far the responses have been limited to people critiquing my blog post and a few letting me know that the maps are too dark (I feel this is subjective, but I need more feedback on that particular issue now).

Mr.BurnsPostOctober 22, 2018, 13:36
Rogue
January 12, 2018, 09:03

Hi Romi,

I'm a relative newbie on Dark Places and even more so on Rtlights but I've downloaded the files and if it helps, assuming nothing IRL occurs between now and Sunday, I'll take a look and see if there's any feedback I can give.

Kind regards

Mr.B

OneMadGypsyPostOctober 22, 2018, 23:26

I watched your e1m1 video and I can give you some feedback on it.

Slipgate areas are too red. It seems unrealistic to me that the little slipgate lights would create so much light. IMO, if you are going to suggest that the slipgate lights are the only light sources, it should be really dark with the red lights barely revealing the slipgate.

Acid light is very strange. If the acid was going to add light it should be reflected light. The first acid pool draws a green band like 1/3 of the way up the wall. That sticks out in a really bad way. In the ramp room acid is casting light all the way up to the top ramp to a small degree. IMO, implying that acid gives off it's own light, and certainly so much of it, is not a good design. My suggestion would be to let the acid give off reflected light based on the amount of light in it's environment. So the first acid pool would have a faint, gradient glow traveling max 32 quake units up the wall and the ramp room would have an almost non-existent glow traveling about 8 q.u. up the wall.

The following critique is more a personal preference than any reality based one. Having the Quad (any pickup) stand as the main light source for an area is cheesy. Sure the quad should look bright but ... light the alcove? Everytime I see something like that I feel like the game is trying to hard to imply something. It would look better if the alcove was almost entirely dark, maybe just a hint of blue on the walls closest to the outermost part of the quad but, the quad was perfectly visible.

I also agree that the maps are too dark (at least e1m1). I know the ambience of Quake is meant to be dark but, that's not how to get the best look and feel. For instance, the first acid area has a huge window in the roof, that area can be made brighter and rely on the interesting shadows the window frame will cast. The ramp room is probably the right amount of dark. I don't recall lights coming on when you hit the buttons in your video though. Maybe they did and I just forgot.

If I had to summarize all of this: You seem to do fine (albeit a little dark) on regular light but go too far on colored light. Your colored lights all tend to blanket a room or intrude heavily on an adjoined space.

I read on your blog where you were shown that lava can light a night sky. I feel like that info is not going to help you and it's just going to have you painting entire rooms orange. Nahuel made a RTL mod for darkplaces that let's you place lights and adjust the properties. I don't know how encompassing or friendly it is but, it seems like something you could use. It doesn't matter if lava can light the universe. What looks really good? Should be the only question, ever.

There is a lot of really nice light in the map, as well, IMO. It just doesn't help you much to point out all the good when you are trying to fix the bad.

romiPostNovember 12, 2018, 00:32
Rookie

I appreciate the feedback, the slime/acid "glow" is one of those areas that I do need feedback on, but the base quake lighting does have lights near water/acid/lava without any "true" source, indicating some sort of refraction technique. There isn't a perfect answer for it. I could greatly reduce the radius of some of those acid lights (e2m1 is pretty rough), but that would mean I would need to make dozens of smaller lights, which comes at a cost of performance and shadow casting.

It is the surreal stuff that is going to be the hardest to get right, because as it is surreal by nature, it also becomes very subjective on what looks "right". However I will balance the feedback I get and try to come up with the best solution.

I am working on reducing color still, for example the green should be half the strength now as what you saw in the video.

The good news is placement is generally good at this point, and modifying color/radius info is much less time consuming.

romiPostNovember 15, 2018, 01:18
Rookie

I am going to go through and unify the pickup brightness on things like Quad damage to something much closer to white light. General feedback has been pretty clear that more is less with color usage outside of obvious things like lava and torches. Occasionally I use colored lighting for stained glass, but that is a rarity.

I will continue to add things here and there, but I feel I am much closer to being complete now.

I still need some critical feedback on E1M3, E1M4, E1M8, E2M3, E2M4, E3M2 (mainly the end pillar room), E3M6, E4M8 and END.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and feedback.

romiPostDecember 18, 2018, 02:38
Rookie

I am now calling my .rtlight set for all of Quake's original SP levels good.

I made an announcement on reddit and had Spoike include the files in the AfterQuake package.

I greatly appreciate all the support from those in this community as I went through this 6 month process.

My blog that goes over the project's history can be found here.

My post on reddit announcing the completion (and showing off a subtle looping gif) can be found here.

Next on my list is promotion, hosting and packaging of the files into something a bit more user friendly, and a clean up of the readme/instructions.

After that I am going to take a long break, I want to do the base DM maps at some point to complete the entire package, and I may continue my work I started on a DOPA .rtlight set.

Thanks Gypsy for all your friendly feedback and words of encouragement. I only had a handful of people provide any feedback at all, and you are on that short list.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 18, 2018, 03:29

Excellent work, sir!

I only wish I had more time to help you. Seriously, they need to get that cloning stuff figured out. I could be accomplishing way more in this world with 4 or 5 of me. When you get your project fully packaged let me know. I will make it front page news.

Just provide me with some links and if you don't want me to make up the description/copy then provide me with some. I generally tend to find already written stuff and then I reword it so it isn't obvious I copy/pasted ;) :D.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.041 seconds.