August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Quake F.A.Q.
OneMadGypsyPostJanuary 16, 2019, 02:35
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicQuake F.A.Q.

Have a question regarding your quake install, mod, code, extra content or other issue? Use the search feature in this thread and you may find your answer. If not, feel free to ask and maybe someone will help you. Please note that, due to post order, answers come before questions.

GuestPostJanuary 16, 2019, 02:42
Rookie

Normal topicReply To: Quake F.A.Q.

Hi guys.
I have a Quake 1 modding question.
I have played Quake 1 on and off through the years, but have never installed any mods. I’ve recently gone looking and found some cool stuff- Quakespasm, Arcane Dimensions, etc.
I would like to install some hi res stuff for AD:

What I can’t find an answer to, is how to install those mods? Like, for example, the first one- AD Pretty Liquids.
Where in the Quake directory do I put the .pk3 archive? Do I have to extract the contents?

OneMadGypsyPostJanuary 16, 2019, 02:48
November 12, 2017, 00:13

Just drop the .pk3’s in your id1 folder or the mod folder that the pk3 belongs to. You do not have to unpack them. Your entire quake directory should look like this (in the most basic sense). Actually, pretty much everything is just drag-n-drop to id1 or the mod folder for whatever mod you are running.

/Quake (main folder)
	EngineOfChoice.exe (ie... darkplaces, fte, fitzquake, whatever)
	/ID1 (folder)
		PAK1.pak
		PAK2.pak (registered version)
		all of your base pk3s
	/SomeModFolder
		files for the mod including mod specific pk3's
	/SomeOtherModFolder
		same system as last mod folder

Note that some pk3’s do not like other pk3’s. If you start to have problems, get rid of all the pk3s and add them back one at a time, testing after each one. Or ask talisa about it. She’ll probably know which ones don’t belong together. Also, you may have no choice but to use darkplaces (maybe FTE) to use some of those pk3’s

TalisaPostJanuary 16, 2019, 10:47
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35

@james
simply drop the pk3's inside the AD folder in your quake folder ;)

most of the AD stuff like shaders and models are all for darkplaces though.
quakespasm doesnt support replacement MD3 models, and afaik it doesnt support Q3A shaders either.

quakespasm does however support high-res replacement textures.

while i personally dont use quakespasm myself,
iirc quakespasm doesnt support pk3s and thus requires textures to be unpacked.
you can simply open the pk3s with any package that can open packaged files, like winzip or winrar

perhaps someone else who actually uses quakespasm is able to give more detailed instructions.

EDIT: i edited the AD overhaul list to mention at top that the items listed are made for DARKPLACES,
and that those who use quakespasm engine can only use the HD texture-packs
and can not make use of the shaders nor any of the replacement models

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.