August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
New Features!
OneMadGypsyPostDecember 21, 2017, 08:09
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicNew Features!

I noticed there was no notification for new messages unless you visited your profile. Now you will get a little message under your avatar in the upper area of the right side bar. However, that is not what I am calling "new features". Now in your profile you have the ability to create galleries from audio (mp3 only), video (mp4, flv & mpeg), images (jpeg, jpg, gif, png & bmp) and even documents (pak, map, bsp, wad, mdl, md2, md3, iqm, gz, zip, pdf & txt). Personally, I feel like the documents one is kind of stupid considering you already have a buddy drive but, I activated it in the case that someone wanted to display their files in a gallery way. I set the cap at 100mb for now. I haven't had a chance to fully test this yet but, I am under the impression that ex: creating an audio gallery will actually embed an audio player... same for video. I'm sure I have just added a whole bunch of shit that will need to be restyled. Use it and I'll fix it as it becomes obvious.

This will probably be the last profile-related feature addition. I've completely filled up the bar! lol! I'm sure if I added more it would just make the bar taller but, that would look like shit. I don't want things to look like shit. So, unless I find like 8 more things to add, this is it (profile-wise).

On a side note, I did some research regarding adding a server browser to this site. I went to quakeone and saw that every server was completely empty. Guess what I'm not going to waste any time on. I don't think this site needs that. I'm feeling like my site is more of a single player kind of thing. However, I will say that I noticed the quakeone server browser is completely different than it was a month ago. I could say an awful lot about priorities here. I'm not going to though and neither are you. We're not doing that. This is a place for progress and awesomeness.

EDIT: .dat has been added as an accepted file extension for document gallery files.

EDIT 2: I installed a better notifier. Now all notifications (pm's, friend requests, maybe something else I can't think of) will trigger a notification in the right side bar. I tested it and it's detailed. Whereas the last one would only say "you have new messages", the new one will say stuff like "You have 7 new messages" "You have 3 new friend requests" "Gypsy has accepted your friend request" and other things like that. There is also a little link under whatever the message is for ignoring the notification, which I believe marks all notifications as read. I think that's handy because I don't want to go to my profile and navigate around just to mark "SomeUser has accepted your friend request" as read.

I have to admit I love wordpress. It's kinda like google play for websites. It's fun sifting through the insane amount of stuff that people have created and then plugging it into my site...seeing how it all works. It's not fun restyling all this stuff but, it's not the end of the world either.

EDIT 3: In your profile if you click in the text box for "Whats New, YourName" a drop down appears that allows you to quickly add images, videos, audio and documents. This is one of the features of the gallery I added. Uploading files this way will appear in your activity stream and the main forum gallery. The address for the main forum gallery is nextgenquake.com/gallery/. I have not added the gallery page to any menus cause the only thing we have in the gallery right now is my one test. If people start using this feature I'll add the gallery link to the right sidebar. If you visit your profile, you may notice a small set of icons that only appear for a split second. Those are the gallery upload icons. I find it sloppy that they didn't hide the icons before page load but instead rely on javascript to hide them (hence the delay) but, there is little I can do about this without hacking at their code. I'm really trying to not hack at sources for main features. I know I can do it, it's just probably smarter not to.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 21, 2017, 22:43
Normal topicReply To: New Features!

I'm currently restyling all of these new plugins. I've knocked out about half of them. It's like easy and hard. It's easy cause I have already established the colors for this site and I have also already written a lot of reusable classes and I have written so much css this month that I don't have to think about what to do. It's hard cause one thing leads to another and another. Making sure that I have clicked through all the possibilities is tedious to say the least. It's all good. We'll have even nicer stuff when I am done and that will make all this effort worth it.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 22, 2017, 04:58

I got a little sleep, took a little break and then got hot on it. I have restyled the entire gallery. I'll be real surprised if I missed something. Over 200 lines of extra css to restyle the gallery. Now I am going to work on something that has been bugging me and is actually just left over from my first attempt at building this site....the black "shadow buttons" with orange text. In some places they look good, in others not so much. They are really just a cheap trick...a semi-transparent black box with an inner shadow. The trick is that no matter where you put them they partially inherit the background. Unfortunately there are a few cases where they are positioned half on one thing and the other half on another and in those cases they look like a cheap trick. I have zero ideas on what to do with them but, I figured out this entire site by the seat of my pants with no plan I don't intend to be foiled by a button. My only hope is that I don't have to split the buttons up by location. Right now there is just one class that handles every button. I am not looking forward to making exceptions.

Earlier I noticed that the registration page is an epic disaster :sigh:. A collage of ugly and crazy. I am really really really not looking forward to styling that. I have a style editor that requires me to be logged in to use. As I write styles I can see the results immediately. I can't be logged in and out at the same time. This means I need to log out in one window and log in in another. I then have to use firebug to track down the styles to change and then basically guess my way through the whole thing frequently logging out to see if my changes are what I expect them to be. Not fun.

I think I am getting an ear infection. Fuck it I have another one.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 23, 2017, 18:53

I installed a plugin that reorders the forum in descending order. I tried to find a plug-in that allows my members to decide how they want it ordered but, I was unable to find one. My line of thinking was it is better to NOT have to scroll like crazy and paginate to the last reply than to let members decide if they want to. In my travels though, I found a plug-in that adds more detailed information to the forum listings. Basically it does everything that Nahuel suggested in his very first post. I am POSITIVE this is going to wreck the shit out of the forum display and it will require a lot of restyling. I AM going to do the work, just not right now. I need a break from css. I am not a fan of css. I maybe even hate css. Just give me a day or so to resign myself to rework like 500 lines of css and I will make the forums more informative. Maybe I will even get a wild hair and do it tonight...just not right now.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 23, 2017, 19:58

Ok, here we go. Are y'all ready. I'm about to activate that forum plugin that adds better meta data to the forums. It's about to get real damn ugly. I've got Coffee, Slayer and some shitty cigar that I decided I'm gonna smoke (this thing looks like grass clippings rolled in a paper bag..lol. I'm sure I've smoked worse things) :cracks knuckles: let the restyling begin!

EDIT: hmmmmm...it didn't seem to do anything at all!? WTF! OOOOH! I hid everything! This forum already had a bunch of stupid repetitive data and I display:none'd that shit. I bet the new info is being injected into those nodes. That's perfect! I can style it up and y'all wont notice any difference til I am done. Well, let's hope that I'm right cause the alternative is that the plugin is not compatible with this version of wordpress.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately, this either does not work, is not compatible or I am missing something. I set all of the settings and they all seem very obvious to me as to what they do. I then used firebug to inspect the forum nodes and there is no new information present … ie there is nothing to “unhide”. I used the forum tools to recalculate the entire forum and used firebug again. Still nothing. I don’t know what else to do. I read the documentation and I didn’t see any “Make Sure” type things in there. It all seemed to be pretty much a click-click-save type of thing. I’m at a dead end here.

However, I found another thing I want to plug in. It turns the post editor into a feature-crammed rich text editor. It adds a LOT of buttons. I’m going to install it and see what we get.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 23, 2017, 21:13

I haven't turned on the rich text editor yet but, I will in a minute. I wanted to make a backup and optimize the database. This reminded me of something. I have a cache plugin that is currently inactive. I left it inactive because I am still building this and the last thing I need is for me to be fed a bunch of cached pages while I make changes. I will be turning the cache on in the near future. What does this actually mean? This means that "first visits" to pages get cached and that cached version lives for 30 minutes. The next visit to a page after the 30 minute life span is considered a new "first visit" and the process starts over. There are a few exceptions. If a new post is made the cache is dumped for that page and a new cache is made. This will speed up the site greatly. Certain pages with massive amounts of images and youtube videos (ie tools compendium) will load instantly. This also means that compression will be applied to images and they will not be as "hd" as the original. This is a trade off that is worth accepting.

I haven't gotten deep into the SEO end of things here yet but, I am well aware of numerous things that are killing my SEO. One of those things is load times. The "heavier" pages here are some of the most important content-wise and they are also the slowest to load. I have some very long term goals here and one of them is to outrank every quake site in searches. This is how we build our community and create heavy activity here.

There are more things that will appear here. Eventually this site will be plugged into facebook and twitter in a way that cornerstone content is posted to these social media sites under an account that is specifically tied to this site. This will NEVER mean that any of you have to use facebook, twitter, G+ etc to participate here. It simply means that my site will leverage these platforms to reach a broader audience. There really is an unfathomable amount of work to do here. I basically have to be and learn how to be a one-man internet enterprise. That's fine. I'm not scared, concerned or worried about it in any way. My goals exceed keeping this community alive. I want to expand this community to encompass the entire planet. World domination of Quake. Mark my words - if this is possible, I will accomplish it. Those of you that have projects or quake enterprises of your own will benefit greatly from this. Here is an example. Right now ArrrCee has a strong following for his channel. ArrrCee will ALWAYS be promoted here in a very obvious fashion. Let's pretend that I accomplish my goals ~ The entire world of Quake will be following ArrrCee. This goes for all of you. I have a long way to go but, I don't stop. This is not a "five years from now" endeavor.

The funny thing is I am spending all of this time tying all of these plugins in and making them presentable but, as soon I feel like my site is rich enough in content and members I am going to pay a professional to build something a million times better than this. I give zero fucks what it costs. I'm actually just biding my time a little bit and waiting for 3D browser tech to be good enough for me to implement my real ideas. We aren't there yet. WebGL is kind of garbage. My ideas are NextGenQuake and everything you can imagine that involves the next generation of presenting & implementing "quake 1" tech. If things were better we would already see at least a shadow of that happening here. Unfortunately, for now, I have to be satisfied with "collecting" quake and providing it in tables that will NEVER disappear from the internet. My compendium is barely an example of what it will be in the near future.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 24, 2017, 00:18

The rich text editor sucked. I tried 2 different ones. They were too cumbersome and did not really add anything helpful. It was just a lot of buttons. Most of them we already have in one way or another. For instance we don't need an attachment button cause we already have the attachment field. We don't need a link button cause links already get converted as soon as you paste them and save. We don't need a youTube button cause if I'm not mistaken you can actually just dump the youTube url here and it will auto-convert to a player after save. Even if I am mistaken we have a bbcode for youTube and Vimeo.

EDIT: yeah, you don't even need bbcode for youTube it auto-embeds with nothing but a link. I just tested it

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 24, 2017, 00:29

let's see if this works. This should be an entire imgur gallery

meats1

YAY, now you can post entire imgur galleries! All you have to do is make your imgur gallery and then copy the url for the entire gallery and post it here. There is actually a LOT more you can do with this. I just tested imgur but you can do google (docs, draw, maps), soundcloud, facebook, twitch streams, more more more. I'll restyle this shit later. Imma take a break and go for a walk.

I couldn't resist doing one more. This should be the google map for Big Ben

[embed class="is-loading"]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Big+Ben/@51.5007325,-0.1268141,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487604c38c8cd1d9:0xb78f2474b9a45aa9!8m2!3d51.5007292!4d-0.1246254[/embed]

hmmm, that didn't work. I haven't even touched the settings page for this feature yet maybe there is something I need to set.

lol, I never even activated the stupid plugin. The imgur embed was apparently already something you could do. However the google map thingy is still not working.

One of the stipulations for this to work was to use the visual editor (admin thingy). I had a rich text editor that added the visual editor. Maybe if I put it back this shit will work. Lemme go see...

And now it works! But I hate this editor. All you have to do to embed stuff is click "visual" and dump a link in. If you need to know what link to use you can go to https://pressshack.com/embeds/ to learn how to use it. I'm sorry this editor looks like shit. I only got halfway through restyling it. I promise I will make it better but I really need some fresh air and a walk.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 24, 2017, 05:09

I disabled the new editor til I have some time and desire to restyle it. I'm doing something else right now. You can still post imgur galleries with nothing but a link because that was apparently something that we could already do before the editor. The rest though, google, twitch, soundcloud, etc will not work from the current editor. I'll be on this soon. I just need a break from CSS. It never ends with css. Mostly because I keep adding new things. We have 27 plugins on this site. I'm honestly surprised the entire site hasn't blown up. Most of the plugins were marked "untested with your version of wordpress" and some of these plugins have overlapping features which are amazingly not creating any conflicts.

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 25, 2017, 15:21

I activated the visual editor and styled it. It's about as good as I can get it. I can't tint the background without breaking into the source because technically the editor is an iframe so, the white background is actually a completely different webpage embedded in the editor body. That webpage does not inherit from my stylesheet so, no matter what I do from this end it will not affect it. The buttons are all using images instead of stylable icons so, I had to go with a lighter color so you can easily see the options. For those that don't know, the "p" at the bottom is not an error. That is an indicator that you are populating an html <p>aragraph element. You will notice as you make different selections that the information at the bottom will change to indicate the type of html element you are using. Mostly, you can just ignore it. Somebody like wizardmachine might find that info useful but, it is useless to your average user.

Honestly, I hate the new editor. It breaks my style for the page and mostly looks like shit. I was actually tempted to just leave it all white. The problem is, without that editor we lose a shit load of new features that I added. Considering there are a number of quake mappers and players that use twitch I'm pretty determined to keep the editor so we can embed twitch streams. I use the hell out of the google suite of products and it may be beneficial to me at some point to be able to embed files created with google stuff. I can't speak for anyone else here regarding your needs or desires for embed possibilities but, I can say that having these features are not ruining anything for you. Also, now there is an inline image uploader (last button on the right) so, you don't have to use your gallery, buddydrive or some 3rd party solution for sharing images.

Every single solitary file that is uploaded in any of the various ways that are possible on this site are stored in the media library (admin section) so whether you use buddydrive, gallery or the inline image uploader in this editor it's all the same shit. The only real difference is whether or not you will have multiple references to the file. Personally, I would recommend NOT using your buddydrive or gallery just to upload an image for a post because, you would just be eating up your storage when using the inline loader doesn't affect your storage at all, and it's all the same uploader. As a reminder your buddydrive has 1gig limit and gallery is 100mb.

Lastly, If you are only posting text I wouldn't recommend using the visual editor. You might find that it will start pissing you off. For instance, normally before starting a new paragraph most people hit enter twice to create a single line break between paragraphs. If you do that in the visual editor it will skip numerous lines because hitting enter once invisibly pops you into a new <p>aragraph element. There are other little "smart-edit" bullshits that I find incredibly annoying. Technically this is the same editor that I have to use on the backend to make pages. I NEVER use the visual option cause I will seriously fucking kill somebody it is so annoying. I use the text version and type all my html raw.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.058 seconds.