QuakeWiki
August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2 3
Tales From A Newbie's Foray Into The World Of Game Dev.
OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 13, 2018, 03:42
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Very Hot topicReply To: Tales From A Newbie's Foray Into The World Of Game Dev.

Things are looking pretty damn good Mr Burns. I do have one point of criticism though. The color you chose for the "distance water" is awkward. The color should be a darker version of the color of water you are in. Your water (due to it's environment) is a dark grey and therefore the distance should look more like this

If you are using RGB 0000FF try 333338

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 13, 2018, 16:39
Rogue
January 12, 2018, 09:03

Hi MG,

Thanks for the feedback. Job done, hopefully this plus a few fallen submerged rocks looks a bit better...

Feel free to keep the ideas coming :)

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 13, 2018, 16:50

It definitely looks better but, the color I gave you still isn't right. It was kind of a shot in the dark ... a guess made by eyeballing it. If you look at the water above you ... the darkest color is the one you need. I might need to immediately edit this post after this guess but, it looks more like a barely green blue-grey and quite dark so how about start with the dark

[333333] <- just a starter number and now pull back the red, barely jump the green and make the blue just a hair more than the green #2c383a or rgb(44, 56, 58)

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 13, 2018, 17:01

your color is an average of 5 to 10 colors within my red half-circle. I guarantee you that every pixel in that area is a little bit of a different color and together they are making the overall shade. By taking a few colors from that "swatch" and averaging them you should get a color really close to the overall one that looks like to the naked human eye.

my little color block in my last post isn't all that far off, actually but, it's still not quite right. Sorry my picture has only a little half circle spot. I screwed up when I saved it and chose "stage dimensions" instead of "image dimensions". I had already closed the program and everything by the time I noticed but, that little spot probably has enough info to get you your color.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 13, 2018, 17:17

Here's a good reference. Notice how the distance color matches the darkest colors on the "under-surface" of the water, with just a hair of extra blue. However, your water is in "grey land" (not a lake) so, you probably wouldn't have any extra blue in your case.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 16, 2018, 18:39
Rogue

Hi all,

A couple of small updates...

I've changed the colours to 44, 56, 58 as suggested and this is the result...

I don't know whether you can see it in the screen shot but I've also added some subtle water caustics (see brick wall on left).

The general consensus of opinion from my testers is that the Multigun was a tad too big (I believe the word was "mahoosive") and needs to be redesigned so that's in the pipeline. In the interim a first draft of the Crossbow is being plumbed in ready for the next release....

There will be more information to follow but, as always, feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can.

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 17, 2018, 04:13

Things are looking really good, Mr. Burns. I wanted to say that I have not forgotten that I said I would remake your armor. It's in my incredibly extensive list of things to do and I promise that before we are both dead I will do what I said. Your game seems to still be heavily in development so, the expedience rating I have given my promise is very low ATM. I am starting to get an itch to play with some blender, though. You can be sure when I start scratching that itch your armor will be exactly how I do it.

You changed the overall color of the water so, now the distance fog doesn't match. Your water is now a blue-grey instead of a green-grey. You should probably finalize everything about underwater first and then use the "average color" thing I explained in an earlier reply to get your distance fog the proper color. I can't give you a proper color if you are going to change the color of everything. I fully understand you are still ironing out the look and feel of everything. I'm just pointing out that we could change the distance fog a hundred times and they will all be wrong if you change the color of the entire environment.

Keep up the excellent work, sir.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 21, 2018, 14:41
Rogue

Hi MG,

Re Armour: - Thank you. I know you are a busy man so don't worry just do it as and when you feel like it  :)

Re: Water: - That's a fair point and its well taken.  Interestingly I didn't touch the colour of the water or fog effect.  I think it is the water caustic effect which is generated by placing a projector below the  water plane, feeding a series of 16 images in to it, and then looping through the pictures to create the animated effect of the images you want to project. The projector seems to have lightened the colour of the walls too.  Ahh well, it's all part of the learning process.

Right, back to getting my crossbow to fire properly :)

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 21, 2018, 18:21

I think everything you are doing is coming along nicely. Nobody here is a professional. When you take that into consideration your work is amazing. I think the water looks better at the lighter tones. Let me ask you, is that map an .obj? If so, I will include .obj in my map thingy I am making so you can use it too.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 22, 2018, 03:55
Rogue

Hi MG,

Unfortunately it is a plain fbx which is dropped in to Unity. The various textures (base, height, specular, Amb Occ, etc) are added to make a set of materials which and then applied to the appropriate plane.  Maybe I'll see if I can use the obj format with the next map. Oddly enough Unity allows you to build your entire game in other formats such as IOS, Linux, android, XBox One and WebGL. The later allows your game to be played within a Web page which is kind of groovy. I've not tried this so maybe I'll do a quick export and see how it all works.

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 22, 2018, 06:03

I have to check but, I want to say that FBX was in the supported formats for my API. It's only this Quake 1 shit that I have to program in myself. Md2, Md5, Obj, 3DS .... on and on all are all already supported.

If there is something I need to do to allow you to post unity games here just let me know. Although, I wouldn't recommend ever posting your entire game here. My host specs are too low. It would run like shit and take the rest of your life to load. However, if everyone wants to chip in for 179$ a month I'll get us a server that's capable of doing anything you could ever imagine.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 22, 2018, 17:48
Rogue

Hi MG

I was thinking about what you had said and so just out of curiosity (and to learn how it is done) I did a test build of the Web version of my little project. It did start  (see below) but initially complained about the available memory allocated to the Web player as part of the default configuration of the build. After taking it up to 512Mb it was a little better but no doubt would benefit from more.   I'm not asking you to host it or anything but it's food for thought.

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 22, 2018, 18:09

Of course I would host it. I'll do whatever you want. You might have to write me a mini tutorial on what it is exactly that I need to do but, I'll do it. I can create a sub domain for you and create some page completely outside of wordpress for your game to live. Because I trust the hell out of you, I can give you sftp access to my server and you can do whatever you need to the page.

oot.nextgenquake.com?
mrburns.nextgenquake.com?

You tell me. Before I do anything I want to figure out if I can make specific sftp credentials for you. Also, if we do this I need you to IMMEDIATELY check after installing/upgrading anything that you have not broken the entire site. I have broken the entire site like 50 times (:D LMAO). It's OK if you break it, as long as you unbreak it (ie...delete whatever you uploaded). We'll figure it out. As long as all you are doing is uploading/deleting/whatever to your subdomain there is nothing you can do to DESTROY the site but, you can definitely break it. I broke it with a loop that runs way too many iterations.

OneMadGypsyPostSeptember 22, 2018, 18:33

I can't create specific credentials and/or partition you to just your subdomain. What I can do is create the most ghetto upload/delete page you have ever seen that only gives you access to your subdomain. When I say ghetto I mean like a file upload box and a clickable list of files to delete (lol). I don't want to build an amazing php file manager. I mean, I actually probably do cause I love PHP but, I have other stuff going on.

Mr.BurnsPostSeptember 23, 2018, 06:01
Rogue

Cool, thanks MG. Please don't do anything yet as a) this will need more thorough testing to see if it would even be viable, b) you have a lot of other stuff on your plate, and as I've said before c) even the mighty MG needs a break :)

I'll probably tweak the memory settings a little more and release a link to a demo people can mess around with it in their browser.  I suppose the memory requirement is the penalty for using modern HD textures and particle effects (sigh). When/If the game is ever approaching completion I plan to have Linux and Mac versions available using the same process but more on that later ;)

Right, back to my crossbow.

Kind regards

Mr.B

Mr.BurnsPostNovember 2, 2018, 16:42
Rogue

Hi Quakers,

I've ported a couple of Quake maps in to one larger level and given it would be safer to use none ID textures I wondered what sort of look players tend to prefer. The combination map is called "Preachers Walk" and comprises of AeroWalk and Basewalk which i believe were both designed by "Preacher". To give you some context and refresh the old memory, the original maps looked like this...

Aerowalk:

And Basewalk...

At the moment in my little learning project they look like this...

Aerowalk (yes I know a texture or 2 need flipping :) )...

and now basewalk...

My gut feeling is to go with the newer Aerowalk  textures and I am tempted to re-do the Basewalk part of the level to match. Any constructive suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Monty

Mr.BurnsPostDecember 2, 2018, 18:37
Rogue

Hi Quakers,

I'm still working on this, bit by bit, and thought I would share with you the latest Work in Progress addition to my little project...

Can any of you keen eyed quakers tell what it is based on yet?

.. and you find the strangest things on Quake Levels when you look hard enough...

:)

I can't take credit for the level design as that belongs to the talented MFX and American Magee, but it is fun getting it to a playable state on a different engine.

All the best

Monty

ZopPostDecember 10, 2018, 00:02
Rookie
September 17, 2018, 23:44

Wow, Monty is using Unity and coding? I guess that means you finished DMP on your own, then! The funny thing is I've been trying to learn Unity and having trouble with it, so now it's me who needs your help!

Anyway, something to criticize are the lines where textures meet. Looking at the first picture you recently posted (in the post that starts "A couple of small updates…"), the cave wall and the floor meeting seems unnatural. However, such a connection is pretty common in Quake. And I admit it probably should look like that in testing stages, anyway. You don't want to work on it until you're really got that wall and floor exactly like you want, else you'll have to redo the work if you change the structures around. The work I've been mentioning might be: softening corners, adding mounds and unevenness, combining textures to make a custom one that allows one to fade into the other, adding junk and debris, or if you want to really imply it being unnatural, make some structures that show the wall was intentionally made sharp against the ground by someone... trusses, girders, frames, pipes?, etc. Another example is the second picture in that post: the wall behind the crossbow is rusted orange and the ground is made of tiles. They meet and don't seem to be aware of each other, even though they're touching. Perhaps a foundation around the wall, or another texture to frame the building in the ground would make it better.

Mr.BurnsPostDecember 12, 2018, 15:47
Rogue

Hi Zop,

It's nice to see you and welcome to NextGenQuake :)

Well as you know I tried quite hard to drum up some interest in playing DMP, I even persuaded the very generous Polarite to very kindly host a server at New York ...which is still up. However in all honesty other than the odd 1 or 2 players I just didn't get any sense of demand from the player base and rather than just sit there twiddling my thumbs I changed my focus. It's still to learn what I can in Game Development but using newer tools to take the best of what I have seen thus far and travel in a similar direction.

I'm more than happy to try and help you with whatever I can with Unity but please bear in mind that I'm only a comparative newbie and I don't have your extremely high level of expertise and extensive background. So I guess what I'm saying is be gentle :)  What is it you are having trouble with?

Thank you for the feedback, it's little observational things like this that I need to hear before I finalise the levels. I can't take credit for the map design as at the moment these are ports of other peoples designs, and credit is given in game, but I will take those very helpful suggestions on board and will try to modify the maps to look a little less unnatural. At the moment its my first pass at this and I'm adding in a small selection of popular maps and a few weapons which I will them revisit in my 2nd pass to try and improve everything.  Unfortunately since May of this year real life seems to be throwing me problem after another but I'm hoping things will settle down during / after christmas and I can give a little more of my time to this.

So please keep the suggestions coming, it really is appreciated and I will act on them.

Kind regards

Monty

OneMadGypsyPostDecember 13, 2018, 14:44

What is DMP?

Pages: 1 2 3
Page loaded in: 0.072 seconds.