August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
QuakeWiki.net My Suggestions!
PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 02:49
Rookie
August 4, 2018, 05:19
Normal topicNextGenQuake.com My Suggestions!
  1. Change the dark red to  black'ish red, OR better yet "Quake brown" the amount of red everywhere is distracting.
  2.  Switch form posts from (most recent first) to (oldest post first) so the conversation for posts makes more sense and feels more organic
  3.  To be continued...

Really these 2 suggestions are more so gripes about what I'd like to see changed for a better experience, I'm sure someone else has to agree with these?

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:05
November 12, 2017, 00:13
Normal topicReply To: NextGenQuake.com My Suggestions!

You might want to adjust your monitor, bro. The site is brown. #592900 is brown.

I've been back and forth on the recent/oldest thing. If oldest you will be constantly navigating to the last page from the first page. How annoying would that be? Also, it's recent first to keep the threads on topic. OP then most recent. Generally the point isn't to chat (and I DO delete chatty chat bullshit. including my own). In most cases the last post (all posts) should refer to the OP. I realize in some threads, especially help ones, this may not be the case, but in those cases two people are going to be coming to the first page (cause that's where you are directed to) and checking the last post (which is on top). I viewed Quakeone with most recent first for 7 years. You'll get used to it. You'll probably start to hate the other way. It really doesn't make any sense for the most recent to be last other than reading top-down.

PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:18
Rookie

*Yeah* On the navigation thing, I just think it will take some adjusting to on my part, no biggie.

Also I had  a look on my secondary monitor (older 19'' crappier one) and the background appears brown'ish while my newer 27'' is showing a much redder brown, Though I do have my vibrancy turned up on the newer monitor. So this is just a P.E.B.K.A.C lol.

I tried getting a screenshot of the difference but the print screen doesn't show any difference in my imaging program so no examples there.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:20

Meh, I see why you would say it's red. I will attempt to back it down a shade but, I have already been down this road. If I change one color, I have to change them all and then I have to change all the images that rely on these colors. Pbbbbt, It's like writing the stylesheet all over again and redoing half the media. My stylesheet is 1400 lines long. I typed every character of that by hand. I spent something like 500 hours in firebug behind a text editor tracking down all the elements and writing new rules. I don't see myself doing anything like that anytime soon, honestly.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:23

I'll tell you what I will do though. I WILL try again to find a plugin that allows you to determine which order you view posts in. I tried to find one a couple of months ago and I couldn't find anything. I will try again. I don't modify the code on this site. If I do that I have 2 choices...

1) never upgrade
2) keep having to redo it everytime I upgrade

I understand that I could write my own plug-in but that also has it's issues. Not big issues but annoying ones. My security will eventually start telling me my plug-in is abandoned so, I will have to go keep editing dates so it will shutup. Plus, this site isn't the only thing I have going on in this world. I already spend too much time making sure you guys have lots of cool stuff, working on SEO, making that "cool stuff" styled properly,... more more more.

I mean, if somebody was paying me for this, they would owe me about 8 to 10 thousand bucks. It's cost me well, nowhere near that an nunya business :D but, you get the idea.

PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:28
Rookie

[quote quote=4429]I’ll tell you what I will do though. I WILL try again to find a plugin that allows you to determine which order you view posts in. I tried to find one a couple of months ago and I couldn’t find anything. I will try again.

Ah, to use quotes I guess I had to click the "Text" tab in the response window.

As for the reddish/brownish thing, just leave it be, if i don't get used to it i'll just locally hack the look with something like GreaseMonkey so my experience will be customized.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:32

quote and some other things can be found in the bar above every post.

PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:35
Rookie

[quote quote=4433]—————————————————–quote——————————————-^^^^^^^^
bar above each post

Yep, that's what I'm using, but to get the bbcode for quotes to auto-add when I clicked on the "Quote" link I first had to change my text format type from Visual to Text.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:39

Honestly, I would completely ditch the visual editor if I could. It's pretty half-assed for a WYSIWYG editor. There's a bunch of stuff you don't even need bbcode for. Most of the time you can just post links. It should even try and embed when you do.

a test (from text editor with nothing but a link)
http://www.quakeone.com

edit: hmmm it should have tried to embed the page to some degree.

another test with a link from here
http://www.nextgenquake.com/forums/topic/site-looks-good-one-suggestion-for-the-forums/

edit2: lol It always says page not found. I have no idea why. Probably my security is doing something. Or maybe my cache hasn't caught up. I bet my security thinks that's a hotlink LOL!!!!

PhenomPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:39
Rookie

Here are the tabs which I had to switch from Visual to Text to use Quotes :

View post on imgur.com

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 03:53

Yeah, I know, that's the tabs to switch between flat text and the visual editor. I hate the visual editor. It's just a bunch of bullshit BUT, it has ONE feature that I can't get any other way... EmbedPress. Nobody here seems to be using the EmbedPress features but, that doesn't mean that nobody ever will.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 4, 2018, 05:58

Well, I searched the plugin repository and, just like before, the only thing I found are plugins that let me decide the post order. However, it still turned out to be good. I got rid of one plugin that's only use was deciding the post order and replaced it with a plugin that does a hell of a lot more. Among other things, all profiles are now private to non-members. You can probably still set it to where it is publicly visible but, the plug-in is going to override it and spit anyone that is not signed-in out to the registration page, just like it should be. There is no reason for bots and non-members to be viewing your profile.

Also, completely unrelated, I sat down to flesh out the undo feature for my game editor and wound up completing the whole feature. I was just going to get some functions ready and fill them in when I woke up. I wound up burning through it. It undoes everything perfectly. If it's a physics entity, it cascades through the visual entity clean through to the physics undoing everything necessary. If the entity has slave entities it deletes them all. In my game editor, you build the world in the game. So, like everything is perfectly instantiated and immediately usable as if it was already there when the game started. Physics, shaders, particle effects, all of it. I thought undo was going to be a bitch. It took like 15 minutes and I am positive it is perfect.

That was too easy. Tomorrow I am going to make a more complex undo. cntrl+shift+click ~ to undo anything you click, no matter where it falls in order of creation. Right now it's just cntrl+z, classic "undo last thing you did". Heh, and then when I make the new "undo any" I'll completely dump my current undo and rewire it through the "undo any" system. If I can "undo any" I can "undo last thing" through the exact same system. Just tell it I clicked the last thing I did ~ even though you wont really have to click it.

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.051 seconds.