August 5, 2019

Forums

Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Mapping while napping
AdmerPostAugust 5, 2018, 00:26
December 31, 2017, 23:20
Normal topicMapping while napping

As the title says, I sometimes dream about mapping.

I know a lot of us do, but I decided to share the memories so we can see how bizarre it gets.

One of the oldest mapping dreams I remember was being in a castle, in Hammer 4.
The castle's brushwork was fine, but there were no textures. In fact, there were lightmaps so it had that blurry lighting. At first I thought I was maybe in a map viewer like Crafty, or using Hammer's ray-traced preview. But then, I encountered a sprite which was on top of a torch. The sprite was oriented to face away from the wall, and it wasn't parallel to the player's view like most sprites are.

I compiled the map, and the sprite was scaled 10x more and it was parallel. Odd.

Next up, I dreamed a huge mapping collab 2 days ago. So, a bunch of people from the Sven Co-op mapping scene (Trempler, Puchi, Aurora, Nih, Keen) and I were doing a huge collab map. But the thing is, it was in a unified "multiplayer mapping" solution that allowed Hammer, J.A.C.K., Sledge and even Trenchbroom users to work on a map in real time, like in Cube 2 Sauerbraten. Brushes were spawning in front of my eyes, I was so lost, but it was just beautiful. Mappers were represented with light bulb sprites, with a nickname above them. It was a huge map set somewhere in the mountains. I remember that one mapper (Trempler) was making a fence along one path, and I was turning it into func_detail and adding CLIP brushes. When we compiled the map via the network in 30s or so, we ran it on a dedicated server and it was just amazing.

And last night, I had perhaps the most unusual one. I was teaching how to make maps. But not in any software - in QuArK. But not to anybody - to a vortigaunt from Iran. Yes, a HL vortigaunt from Iran. How is he from Iran, I don't know, he probably teleported there from Xen and came to Bosnia.
I was driving a car (another thing that isn't real) through my village, and came across a house where the vort lived. I remembered he told me to teach him QuArK, so I did. At least I started. I said "QuArK can be used as many things, a map editor, a model editor and object viewer, a texture editor and browser" (I don't think some of those are true, but hey, it's a dream) and then my phone started beeping like the "computer talk" WAVs from Half-Life.

Then the dream ended, and I woke up at 5 in the morning. Now it's 6:26 and if it weren't for this last dream, there wouldn't have been this thread.

TalisaPostAugust 5, 2018, 10:16
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35
Normal topicReply To: Mapping while napping

Hehe I myself often dream of making models in blender and tend to dream in wire-frames where I dream of some random thing I could make and then see in my dream in wire frame how I could make said thing.

AdmerPostAugust 5, 2018, 13:29

That's interesting. I've never dreamt in wireframe.
Though, I was reading about my old dreams and there seems to be one about modeling too:

An hour ago, I had a weird dream. AleKK and H2Whoa were in it. AleKK was seemingly contacting someone at Valve about a mod that someone was making for Half-Life. The mod had castles and dragons in it. More precisely, red dragons with armour? Interesting. The modder was making the maps in Blender, and all of that stuff on his very old PC. TBH I haven't had a dream in a long time, so I'm not surprised that this one is so bizarre.

I also recall dreaming part of the actual design process in Blender. It's miraculous that my dream had a 1:1 Blender UI and stuff, even though I rarely even used Blender.
Hmm. This sounds familiar for some reason due to the dragons and all. :P
But yeah, it's a good thing I keep track of my dreams. All sorts of stuff can happen.

I once had a dream where Sven Co-op 7.0 was released and they added "dynamic map geometry modules".

Just like that. A good part of my map ideas came from dreams, lol.

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 5, 2018, 14:38
November 12, 2017, 00:13

Ive been dreaming in code for like 20 years. Well, that and insanely dark nightmares but, mostly in code.

TalisaPostAugust 6, 2018, 15:49
Insider
July 22, 2018, 00:35

@admer Yeh I'm a visual thinker and have a very strong 'spacial awareness'? (That's what Google says it's  called in English at least).

When I have a random idea of an item to make I can see in my mind how I could make said item, and I can see it in full 3d how I could make it with all the loops and  edges lime wire-frame mode in blender.

Guess it's a side-effect oc always using the same software, at one point you start visualising things say how they would look like in that particular softwar

BTW do excuse any weird typos. Currently using cellphone and auto-correct is weird XD

OneMadGypsyPostAugust 6, 2018, 16:05
November 12, 2017, 00:13

@ very strong ‘spacial awareness’

Me too! When I lived in California I used to play horseshoes every evening with the fellas. One day I was digging around in my garage and I found 2 pieces of wood that were about as thick as horseshoes. Oh, I guess I should say first that I never bothered to buy horseshoes because, there were plenty of sets available at the pit where we played. Anyway, I made a pair of wooden horseshoes with no diagram, dimensions, nothing. I brought them to the pit that night and we measured them up against a real pair. They were identical. I don't mean really super close. I mean identical. Every detail, every measurement, every thing about them down to the groove that travels the entire inner space of the horseshoe shape. The only thing that was not identical was the weight.

One of the guy's that I played with was a carpenter by trade. He saw the shoes and called me a liar. Unfortunately for him my girlfriend of the time watched me make them and she often came with me to the pit. She fully backed me up. His response was "What are you, some kind of idiot savant?" I remember not liking that at all and wanting to damage his face but, I honestly didn't know what that meant at the time.

AdmerPostAugust 6, 2018, 17:14

When I have a random idea of an item to make I can see in my mind how I could make said item, and I can see it in full 3d how I could make it 

Same thing here. Although, one thing I also tend to do is analyse stuff. Not the best example, but while I was making my high school map, I just looked around to see how stuff was made, and then I imagined rebuilding the same out of brushes. ^^ (or in other cases, out of polys in 3DS Max)

Guess it’s a side-effect oc always using the same software, at one point you start visualising things say how they would look like in that particular softwar

It gets even better if you're used to more than one. :D
Before I begin doing something, I roughly imagine the entire process. Sometimes it takes up to 4 or more programs depending on what kind of assets I need to make, plus the workflow I have (but my workflow is usually 1 or 2 programs for a single type of asset), and then I just imagine everything. Sometimes it comes off not like I imagined it, sometimes even better than I imagined. It's something I do when I wait for the bus and when I'm in the bus, or when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. Gotta make time fly somehow. :P

@ OneMadGypsy

So your nightmares are spaghetti code?

Pages: 1
Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.