From: Antti Seppänen
Subject: WTF has happened to the mailbag?
Moores! Two questions:
1. What has happened to weekly mailbag? Last mailbag came 27.8 and now it is 5.10. It's about time to get new one online.
2. Make some sense to poll comments. I'm sick of Lowtax (or anyone elses...) pants and other "witty" comments. Don't you have anything analytical to say about results? For example this Fargo thing with last poll (4.10) was stupid. Does Lowtax make all the comments by himself? Or are all in that office insane? You are not funny!
Your sites new look is brilliant. Also I liked Geezer's article about Quake III Arena Tour Bus. Have you thought about daily poll? One question per day for example in the front page.
Okay, first of all, wtf does "Moores! mean...is that some kind of Finnish insult!? Second of all, you didn't do well in math, did ya, cuz I count more than two questions up there? Anyway, lemme see if I can come up with some "witty comments" in response to your questions:
P.S. Pick on Lowtax all you want, but this is what happens when people pick on my wittle Fargo ;)
- You're reading the mailbag, f00! Did we say it would be a weekly thing? Hmmmm, I think maybe it was meant to be a once a decade thing, but obviously someone got overly ambitious! It won't happen again...I promise :)
- I personally have no control over the senseless fool named Lowtax, who does the poll; and the last time I looked, he wasn't wearing any pants (guess he got sick of 'em, too!).
- No, we are not an analytical bunch; analysis requires brains and I don't think we have one of those around here.
- Lowtax cannot be held responsible for his own actions, but he can be held responsible for those comments.
- Yes, we are all quite insane! But take heart, I hear we just hired a full-time in-house psychotherapist - yippee! And believe me, we'll need one to help us work through the feelings of inadequacy we now feel because of your comment that we are not funny :( Shame on you!!!
- Sucking up now by telling us that our site looks brilliant, or that you really liked geezer's article, will not keep me from launching this rocket at you.
- NO! We have never thought about a daily poll; frankly, we don't think at all!
Hey, why hasn't the mailbag been updated in over a month? I see the poll is back after a month of vacation. What's going on?
Okay, in all seriousness, the Mailbag kinda took an unannounced vacation, just like the poll did. The Mailbag is back now, fat and happy, and feeling very refreshed. It promises it will be a good Mailbag from now on, and will show up every Friday whether it wants to or not.
Whaddya Want For Free?
In response to Steve K's editorial regarding "Jailbreak and Free Lunches":
From: WitchDr. Ash
Subject: I agree...
MODs keep a game alive long after they should have kicked the bucket, but people moan when they have to acutally PAY for a MOD, especially seeing as many of the really good ones are free. But with knowledge from working on a failed MOD the amount of time it takes to even get a very early working version of your dream takes a long time. Especially when you have to consider small things like earning enough money to eat, passing exams and the such MODing becomes a slightly less important factor. MODs are good when
you see them appear but no one should EXPECT anything from the MOD makers.
The MOD makers are creating something which could be marketed and sold for a reasonable amount of money but what do most of the charge you? Sweet F A. Next time you want to turn round and go "F*** you XXXX your latest update is 2 weeks late. You owe us the release you..." and so on think how much did you pay for this? How much did the person you are about to have a go at give up in terms of time/sleep/social life to make this MOD, he didn't have to, he's not making ANY money from it (usually). This individual is showing the world that he can do something and then letting anyone play with it for free, don't you think you should allow them to work to their own schedule and thank them for bothering upgrading it rather than moaning because of a late update, or the new update doesn't play quite how you want it to?
Subject: Jailbreak and Free Lunches
Anarchy, RXN coder and only RXN member working on JailBreak currently, was given eight months to simply code the new features into 2.5. These features included Map Voting, Team Radio Sounds, Clan Competition Mode(broke), Jail Game, and ability to USE other models, and a New Scoring System. Not only did he take eight months to do this, he never updated the site of any news. I am a webmaster, www.og-world.com/jailbreak/, and a busy mapper putting together my second pak. I still find time to make a small paragraph on my page about my progress and whats new. Not to mention what he did code was filled with bugs and server admins couldn't get a bug-free lunix version.
Anarchy also sneaked out of the mod he was placed in charge of to help Gloom, RXN's other mod. You may have had to code, create 2d graphics, map, and create models. Where all he had to do was code. There were more than than enough mappers and 2d graphic creators in the community or in RXN to do that.
The thing that made most members of the community angry was that Anarchy couldn't make his deadlines, and if he didn't apolize etc. He took up this job, now he has to take the respociblities.
A member of the community even fixed many of the bugs. I don't know both sides of this story. RXN says that he was blackmailing anarchy to release 2.5, and RXN (anarchy) mentioned a lawyer. The community says that anarchy mentioned a lawyer, when the person was just trying to help. And that anarchy did this to stay in cotrol of JB for what ever reasons.